Scenic Alabama

We are dedicated to protecting the scenic character and beauty of Alabama's communities and roadways. We fight against billboard blight and uncontrolled signs that clutter up our business districts, neighborhoods and roads. We work to keep our roadways beautiful by preserving trees. You can help! Let us know what's going on in your city or community. Please support Scenic Alabama by joining as a member.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Clear cutting on I65 North in Chilton County

I was on my way back from Montgomery on Tuesday (I'll post later about the billboard law that I went down there about) and noticed that a big area on I-65 North around mile marker 209 had been clear-cut and pretty much scraped. It looks pretty bad, but in this case there was a good reason. I called the district office in Maplesville, and they told me the State of Alabama actually did the cutting. This area is across from an airport and the trees were unsafe for small planes.

So, this is one of those cases where the trees had to be removed for public safety reasons. We're still pushing a state policy to not permit tree cutting for the benefit of private developers. (The petition of support for such a policy is still on the website).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home